There are some things we do not need to face alone
Some of our children face situations that go beyond what is expected of most kids and teenagers: some of our kids are faced with trying to understand and cope with violence that they have seen happen in their lives or that has happened in their lives in the past. The Golden Family Center offers help for your child or teenager and we also offer support to you, as their parent, so that you can be there for your kids.
Is this service for you?
The PEACE Program (used to be called CWWA) provides counselling to children and youth aged 4 to 18, who have been impacted by abuse, and who have witnessed abuse, assault, threats or violence in the home. The program also offers supportive services to the child’s parents/caregivers.
PEACE stands for: Prevention, Education, Advocacy, Counselling, and Empowerment.
The PEACE program is free and voluntary. Youth can access services on their own, if they feel ready. Check our page on Confidentiality.
How we work
- Your child or teen’s counsellor will work with you and/or your child or teen to identify issues and concerns, strengths and resources, and to help determine counselling goals.
- We use Art Therapy, Expressive Arts Therapy and Play Therapy to support children and youth to express themselves in a safe and healthy way
- We help kids understand that they are not responsible for the abusive actions of others
- We work on safety planning and healthy boundaries
- We support children and youth who face loss and separation
- We educate children and youth about support networks
- We recognize their strengths and help find ways to increase their feelings of self-worth
- We can refer your child or teen to other related services, when appropriate
- One-to-one, family, and group support available