The Family Counselling Program is available to parents and families of children and youth. The counsellor will also work with individuals or families who are expecting or planning a family.
Particular family issues to be worked on may include (but are not limited to):
- Challenges in communication
- Resolving negative family interactions
- Parent child/teen conflict
- Challenges of living in a step-family or blended family
- Improving parenting skills
- Grief and loss
- Sibling rivalry
- Gaining greater understanding of family dynamics
- Resolving challenges arising from low functioning (both cognitive & emotional)
- Embracing struggles to accept a child’s sexual orientation and/or changes in gender identity
- Poor problem solving skills
- Help for family members experiencing challenges managing feelings of anger and despair.
The counsellor will work with a variety of techniques and skills to equip parents and families of children and youth with tools to support overall family functioning.
COMPLETE THE INTAKE FORM
To find out more information or if you are ready to get started, please complete our online intake form to book an information-sharing appointment with one of our intake workers.
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY
Confidentiality is the preservation of private information disclosed during participation in one of the Golden Family Center’s counselling or support programs. With some exceptions (see below), your personal information is kept strictly confidential within our team and will not be shared without your consent.
EXCEPTIONS TO CONFIDENTIALITY:
- When information you disclose indicates there is clear and imminent danger to yourself or to others. In this situation, the counsellor or support worker is ethically required to take necessary steps to prevent such danger.
- When information you disclose indicates that a child (defined in B.C. as a person under the age of 19) is at risk and is in “need of protection”. The counsellor or support worker is required by law (so is any member of the general public) to inform staff at the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD).
- For case consultation to ensure the provision of quality services. This occurs within our team at the Golden Family Center only.
- When disclosure of your information is for the purpose of complying with a subpoena, warrant or order issued or made by a court, person or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of personal information.