Every Wednesday, starting March 21st, Drop-In Counselling services will be available at a Clinic held at the Golden Family Center. We all face challenges in life, and there are times when we need a calm and non-judgmental space to share our concerns, to be heard and to plan next steps.
What is Drop-In Counselling?
- Same-day access to a counselling session.
- A place for individual adults to come when you need someone to talk to.
- A professional counsellor will listen to you and work with you to create a plan with next steps to begin the change you are looking for.
- This service is free and no appointment is needed.
- A counselling session is about 1.5 hours long. In many cases, a single visit is all that is needed.
- You will be seen on a first-come, first-seen basis. No appointments are booked in advance. Bring your favourite magazine or book to read while you are waiting or go out and grab a coffee. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide childminding while you are in your session.
When and where is the Clinic?
- The Clinic runs on Wednesdays from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Four appointment times are available with the last appointment starting at 3:30 pm. Please come to the Golden Family Center shortly before 9:00 in the morning to register for one of the four appointment times. The Golden Family Center is located downtown, on the second floor of the Patlar building, across from Remax. There is an elevator available in the building.
- If the appointment slots are full for the day, we will ask you to return on the next Wednesday. You can come back to the clinic over time, but you cannot request a specific counsellor.
- At the end of a session, we ask that you complete a brief survey to let us know how you felt about the session. This anonymous information helps us understand how we can make this program better and helps us develop continuing funding.
What can I expect from my Drop-In single counselling session?
- The Drop-In counselling clinic offers an encouraging and supportive environment. We help you identify issues, recognize and build on your own strengths and abilities, and we help you develop strategies.
- Please discuss with the counsellor you are seeing today if you wish to be referred to our individual, couple, family, or youth counselling services. If you and your counsellor decide this is appropriate, your name may be placed on the waiting list until space becomes available.
- All our Counselling and Support Services staff receive clinical supervision allowing us to provide quality service to clients. Our skilled counsellors are bound by their professional codes of ethics.