Parenting is hard. We can help.
Being a parent is full of rewards. There are beautiful and funny moments with your kids, and warm feelings of belonging and love. But the reality of raising children is that parents can become overwhelmed, exhausted, and stressed – sometimes our kids drive us crazy.
Parenting is a challenging job. It’s not something we’re given time to learn, like driving. Parents are expected to have the answers and do the “right thing” for their kids at all times. But we don’t always have the answers, we don’t always know what to do and sometimes we just get stuck.
When you feel stuck and when you feel your family needs help, the Golden Family Center can assist. We offer individual help to parents, and we offer parenting groups, where you can share experiences with other parents in Golden.
- Our individual Parenting and Family Support Program offers a wide variety of services and options for you and your family.
- Our Parenting Groups are a place to share experiences and learn new parenting skills together with other local parents.
Some of the situations we face as parents can go beyond what is expected of most of us: some of our kids are faced with living with a disability or figuring out their sexual orientation, and some of our kids are faced with situational challenges, like being bullied, being abused, dealing with loss, or getting caught up in drugs or alcohol. Check out our specialized programs for help for you or for your child or teenager:
Parents come for help for a variety of reasons.
These may include such issues as:
- Parenting concerns around routines: bedtime, sleeping, dinner time, getting ready for school
- Challenges of living in a step-family or blended family
- Challenges of being a new parent
- How to handle behaviour problems
- Wanting to learn about child behaviour and development (social-emotional, cognitive, physical)
- Improving communications within the family
- Understanding child temperament and how it influences how you and your child get along
- Understanding family dynamics
- Conflict between parents and teens
How we work
- In the individual Parenting and Family Support Program, your worker will work with you, your partner, and your family to identify issues and concerns, strengths and resources, and to help you determine your goals for your family.
- Using your goals as a starting point, you and your worker together will develop a plan of change. Implementing this plan typically involves 6-12 sessions. The time lines are determined together with you during the process. At times the work can happen relatively quickly and other times it may require an extension.
- Our overall approach is based on our understanding of Attachment Theory.
What is Attachment Theory?
Attachment Theory lies at the foundation of all our counselling and support services. Attachment Theory describes the dynamics of long-term relationships between humans.
For more information, please visit our Attachment page.
The Parenting and Family Support programs at the Golden Family Center are funded by the Ministry for Children and Family Development (MCFD)