The Golden Family Center offers a wide range of affordable counselling and support services. To find out whether we offer a service that would be helpful to you, or if you are ready to get started, we ask that you book an information-sharing appointment with one of our intake workers. An intake appointment is a one-time appointment and is not a counselling session. The goals of an intake appointment include:
- informing you about the different programs and services at the Golden Family Center
- giving you an opportunity to describe what you are looking for
- finding out which program or service best fits with your needs and goals
- reviewing and completing basic paper work, including written information on topics like confidentiality, rescheduling appointments, etc.
How to book an Intake appointment
Please email or phone and ask for an intake appointment. An intake appointment usually takes between 45-60 minutes. Contact Us
Youth can access services on their own, if they feel ready. Check our page on Confidentiality.
What happens after the Intake appointment – are there waitlists?
Following the intake appointment, we will call you to arrange for times and dates for you to come in and start meeting with your program worker or counsellor. Often service will start within two to four weeks following the Intake appointment, but depending on program demand this wait may be longer . We do our best to avoid the use of waitlists, but due to the high demand for some of our services, there may be a wait time between your intake appointment and your first meeting with your program worker or counsellor. When possible, we try to link you to a different counsellor or to other community supports while you are waiting.
What happens if the Golden Family Center does not provide the service I need?
Sometimes it becomes clear during the intake appointment that the service that would be most helpful to you is not offered by the Family Center. In a situation like this, the intake worker will try to connect you with a different service here in Golden or sometimes outside of Golden. The intake worker can make a referral to this other service on your behalf.
What are the costs for service?
In 2016-17 our user fees are $80 for one year or $40 for 6 months, regardless of the number of appointments – and this includes our library fee. Fees can be paid in installments and can be waived in certain instances. There is no fee for Abuse Recovery counselling or for families referred directly by MCFD (Ministry of Children and Family Development). The user fees we collect are used for special projects.
Some notes about your intake appointment
- Our staff who look after intake appointments also work in our different programs. Sometimes the person who completed the intake appointment with you also works in the program you choose to participate in. Please note that the intake worker you met with will not necessarily be the same person you will meet with in your program.
- Teenagers can book their own intake appointment, but parents usually complete an intake appointment when they are looking for services for a younger child.
- If you are looking for couples counselling, we ask that you and your partner each book a separate intake appointment.
Client Rights & Responsibilities
- To be treated with respect.
- To be informed of the Family Center’s policies and procedures.
- To be informed of the Family Center’s policy on missed appointments, cancellations and emergency coverage.
- To know when you can expect to access services.
- To be informed of the limits of confidentiality in the counselling setting.
- To revoke previously given consent to share information with other professionals.
- To refuse to answer any question.
- To ask questions at any point about issues relevant to services provided to you, including your worker’s values and approach to working with you.
- To negotiate your goals for service with your worker.
- To be provided with access to information in your file upon written request. Requests for access to, or correction of, personal information are governed by privacy legislation. Privacy legislation requires that we respond to a request within 30 days.
- To request to have a different service provider.
- To terminate service at any time.
- Keeping all scheduled appointments or notifying us as soon as possible if you are unable to keep an appointment. After 3 missed appointments (without explanation) your file may be closed. You may resume service at a later time.
- Maintaining the smoke-free environment within the building. If you need to take a break, please let staff know.
- Coming to scheduled appointments without being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. In these circumstances you will be asked to reschedule your appointment.
- Insuring that your language and behaviour are appropriate. Disrespectful or abusive language and behaviour will not be tolerated. In these circumstances you will be asked to correct your language and behaviour. If they continue, you will be asked to leave. You may not have access to services until this incident has been reviewed with you and program staff.
- Not bringing weapons on the premises.