We all need help at critical times.
The Golden Family Center offers general counselling services to help families, couples and individuals find and use new skills that will empower healthy changes in themselves and in their family. By using holistic techniques, emotional well-being is improved, a stronger sense of inner balance is created, and individual and family health is strengthened. The general counselling program includes the following options:
The General Counselling program has one full-time counsellor who uses a combination of traditional counselling techniques, mixed with some alternative health practices**, offering a holistic approach to working with life challenges.
Is this service for you?
Our counselling services for families, couples and individuals are primarily meant for parents and guardians who are caring for children and youth under 19 years of age and their families, and for individuals and couples who are expecting or planning a family (these criteria are established by the Ministry that funds this service).
- If you do not fall into these categories, you can still receive service, but there may be a wait time involved.
- Counselling services are also available for youth through our Youth Counselling program.
Families, couples and individuals come for help through counselling for a variety of reasons.
These may include such issues as:
- Family issues and parenting concerns
- Challenges of living in a step-family or blended family
- Challenges of being a new parent
- Concerns about attachment with your child
- Marital or relationship problems
- Coping with loss and change
- Trauma related injuries
- Feeling hopeless or thinking about suicide
- Anger management
- Stress management
- Questions about sexuality
How we work
- Your counsellor will work with you, your partner, and your family to identify your issues and concerns, strengths and resources, and to help you determine your counselling goals.
- Using your goals as a starting point, you and your counsellor together will develop a plan of change. Implementing this plan typically involves 6-8 sessions. The time lines are determined together with you during the process. At times the work can happen relatively quickly and other times it may require an extension.
- If you have been struggling with a number of difficult areas in your life, you may wonder how you can improve your life in all these areas in just a limited number of sessions. It is important to recognize that you do not need to work on many goals all at once. By harnessing your focus on the most important goal first, you will find that you will be able to achieve real change more quickly. And often, this change will create the momentum you need to keep moving in the right direction.
- If you find that over time, you would like to come back and do some more work on one of your goals, please feel free to contact us again for service.
- One of the alternative health practices** that may be used with certain clients, if it is determined to fit with the overall counselling goals, is cranial-sacral support. Cranial-sacral support is not available as a stand-alone service.
- Our overall counselling approach is based on our understanding of Attachment Theory.
What is Attachment Theory?
Attachment Theory lies at the foundation of all our counselling services. Attachment Theory describes the dynamics of long-term relationships between humans. Even though most of the information you may read online or in magazine articles on Attachment Theory talks about relationships between parents and their young children, there is a growing body of evidence that Attachment Theory applies to adult relationships as well.
For more information, please visit our Attachment page.
The Family, Couples and Individual Counselling programs at the Golden Family Center are funded by the Ministry for Children and Family Development (MCFD)